User Query: I am keep getting errors, using Enterprise. It seems my QuickBooks backup failed. Is there any way to recover QuickBooks Enterprise data back?
Experts recommend that you must always save at least 2 different backup copies for QuickBooks. Since your accounting data is essential for ascertaining profit & loss, calculating payroll, and filing taxes, you need to ensure that you safeguard it with simple and easy procedures that can be performed directly through QuickBooks. In this article, you’ll learn how to backup QuickBooks company file and how to schedule automatic backups.Read More: How to restore QuickBooks backup file to new computer?
User Query: I tried many things even QuickBooks automatic backup not working. What about my files, how can I restore QuickBooks company files, I have so many customers?
A backup file saves all of your company file data in a compressed format. The backup includes your accounting data, letters, images, templates, etc. The backup file won’t include your payroll forms, but we’ve mentioned steps to backup the same later in this article.
Read More: How to Restore a Portable File in QuickBooks?
Automatic Backup in QuickBooks
We recommend that you set up automatic backup in QuickBooks. This facilitates you in several ways. First, you don’t have to manually create backup copies every time. Second, you don’t need to be reminded of creating the backup copy. Third, if anything goes wrong, you will have a recent backup copy to restore your data from.
To schedule automatic backups, you can follow the steps provided below:
- Click on File from the main menu.
- Select Switch to Single-user mode.
- From the File menu, go to the Back up Company and click on Create Local Backup.
- A new window with the title Local Backup will appear. Click on Next.
- Click on Browse. The option will be available in the Local Backup Only section.
- Input the number of Backup copies you want to keep on your system.
- Click on Complete Verification in the Online and Local Backup section. The verification process ensures that the data is in good shape.
- Click on Ok.
- Click on Save it now and schedule future backups. Click on Next.
- Mark the option ‘Save backup copy automatically when I close my company file every’. Input a number. After you’ve closed the company file that many times, QuickBooks will automatically create a backup.
- Click on New to create a schedule. Enter the time and date on which a backup should be created.
- Once you’ve created the schedule, click on Ok. Enter windows password.
- Click on Finish.
Now you’ve created a schedule to backup your company file automatically through QuickBooks.
Read More: How to Convert Company File to Latest Version in QuickBooks?
Note: If you don’t want to create a backup copy now, then click on Only schedule future backups.
Manual Backup in QuickBooks
Before we begin, you must switch to single user mode in QuickBooks. The option for the same is provided in the File menu. To manually backup your company file, follow the steps provided below:
- From the File menu, click on Back up Company.
- Select Create Local Backup.
- A new window titled Local Backup will appear. Click on Next.
- Select Browse from the Local Backup only section. Select the location where the backup file will be saved.
- Input the number of backups to be saved.
- Click on Complete Verification to verify that the accounting data is error free.
- Click on Ok, then Save it Now.
- Click on Next to begin the backup process.
We promised at the start that we’ll provide you with the steps to back up payroll forms. The easiest way to store a backup of payroll forms is to create a printout of them and then save them as a PDF. QuickBooks Enhanced Payroll users can directly save the payroll forms as PDF.
Read More: How to Migrate QuickBooks to the New Server?
To know more, you can get in touch with our experts at our LIVE CHAT.
Some Good Articles to Read:
- What to do, getting QuickBooks error after update, would company file be safe?
- How to Use QuickBooks Rebuild Data Functionality?
- How to Compress QuickBooks Company File using Zip?
- What to do QuickBooks Won’t Open Company File?
- Why am I keep getting QuickBooks error the file exists problem?
- What are the best ways to resolve QuickBooks loading error quickly?
- My QuickBooks SSD Drive won’t open on Desktop – What to Do?
Q. How do I create a backup copy of simply the accounting data?
A. If you don’t want lists, images, templates, etc. to show up in your backup file, then you should create a Portable Company File, which contains only the most essential accounting data. You can access this option from File > Create Copy > Portable Company File.
Q. Can I send this backup copy to my accountant for verification of data and creation of reports?
A. Yes you can. However, we recommend that you create a portable company file for the same. A portable company file can easily be imported into QuickBooks and is used to share accounting data between a client and his or her accountant.
Q. How to find QuickBooks data file locations & where should I store?
A. The most common default location to store for a QuickBooks company files is: C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\Company Files. If you are using Windows 10 and want to locate hidden files & folders. Follow the steps below:
- On your Desktop or System Tray, choose the folder icon to start File Explorer.
- Choose the View tab & select Hidden Items.