If you’re planning to shift from QuickBooks online to Desktop, then all you need to do is import the data into the desktop based software. Undoubtedly, QuickBooks Desktop packs more features but sacrifices on accessibility. However, if your decision is final, then you can follow the steps mentioned in this article to import your data from QuickBooks Online to QuickBooks Desktop.
Read More: How to Convert QuickBooks Enterprise to Pro?
To transfer your accounting data from QuickBooks online to QuickBooks desktop, follow the steps provided below:
- Log into QuickBooks Online.
- Click on the Gear Icon, and Select Export Data.
- Enter the reason and click on Continue.
- Click on Learn More under Moving to QuickBooks Desktop?
- Click on Learn More under Download Company Data.
- In the export overview screen, review your accounting data.
- Click on Get Started.
- Select Continue to Download from the Exporting from QuickBooks Online page.
- Follow on-screen instructions to export the data from QuickBooks online.
Some data types aren’t included in the exported file. However, all of the essential accounting data will be present in the exported company file. You can launch QuickBooks desktop and open the new company file in it.
Read More: How to Convert Company File to Latest Version in QuickBooks?
We also recommend that you update QuickBooks Desktop to the latest version before importing the accounting data. To update QuickBooks Desktop, follow the steps provided below:
- Go to the Help menu, and select Update QuickBooks Desktop.
- Click on Update Now.
- Select Get Updates.
- Select the updates you wish to install on your system.
- Wait for the update files to download. When QuickBooks prompts you to begin the process, click on yes.
Wait for the process to complete. After that you can open the company file in QuickBooks Desktop and start working with your accounting data.
Read More: How to Upgrade to QuickBooks 2021?
To know more, you can get in touch with our experts at our LIVE CHAT.
Q. I get an error while trying to update QuickBooks Desktop. How do I resolve this error?
A. You can download the update files from Intuit’s website and then install it on your system. This way, you can bypass any errors related to the accounting software.
Q. Do I need to upgrade the company file?
A. No. The software will automatically do that for you. You can open the company file directly through QuickBooks Desktop.
Q. How to Export QuickBooks Online to Desktop for Mac?
A. First create a QuickBooks Desktop for Windows file by converting the QuickBooks Online data.
- You can export your files from QuickBooks Online to QuickBooks Desktop for Windows.
- The QuickBooks Desktop for Windows company file needs to be open.
- Lists can be resorted if necessary.
- Perform a data verification. It identifies most known issues within files and informs users whether they need to use the Rebuild Data tool afterwards.
- You can copy an entire company file for QuickBooks Desktop for Mac by going to File, Utilities, and then Copy Company File. In QuickBooks Desktop for Mac, the MAC.qbb file can be imported.
- Choose a location where you want to save the file. You should also make a copy of your backup.
- Data can be restored in QuickBooks Desktop for Mac.
- Open your No Company Open window and click Browse.
- Open the file you want to open.
- It is recommended that you move the QuickBooks Desktop for Windows company file you have to an area on the computer you are working on if it is located on an external drive.
- The data is protected in this way.
- After the QuickBooks Desktop for Windows file restoration prompt appears, click OK.
- Select Save and give your restored file a name.
Q. I want to export & convert data from QuickBooks Online to QuickBooks Desktop, how can i do that. It seems its grayed out.
A. Here are the steps:
- Open QuickBooks Online, Prepare to export window. Select Continue.
- Select the information you want to export. You have the option of exporting entire data, including transactions, or simply the list and balances. Continue is the option.
- Select Learn about the restrictions of converting data for QuickBooks Desktop and choose Continue to learn about the constraints that may affect your migration.
- Add the Name & email Ids you want the migration confirmation email sent to and select Continue.
- To return to your QuickBooks Online file, select Close on the email confirmation screen. Wait for your confirmation email. It’s possible that the email will take some time. It depends on how much data you’re migrating.
- You’ll need to return to QuickBooks Online’s export screen. To return to the export page, repeat the procedures from Step 2 and then select Get Started.
- Select Continue on the Prepare to export page.
- Choose the same option as before on the Select your data screen and click Continue.
- Select the QBXML file to be downloaded. If QuickBooks asks you to save the file, choose a convenient location, such as your desktop, and then click Continue.
- Make sure you’re on the No Company Open screen in QuickBooks Desktop.
Go to File and select Close Company if you have a company open. Compare your data before and after the export by looking at your reports.