A guide to resolve the common “QuickBooks is Unable to Complete this Operation and Needs to Restart” Error and prevent data loss.
What Causes the QuickBooks Unable to Complete this Operation Error?
QuickBooks is a popular accounting software that helps small and medium-sized businesses manage their finances, invoices, payroll, and taxes. However, sometimes QuickBooks users may encounter an error message that says “QuickBooks is unable to complete this operation and needs to restart”.
This error can occur due to various reasons, such as:
- Corrupted or outdated QuickBooks software
- Invalid or duplicate names of items, accounts, or customers in the QuickBooks company file
- Damage or corruption in the QBWUSER.ini file or the QuickBooks company file
- Network issues or firewall settings that block QuickBooks from accessing the company file
- Other software or hardware issues that interfere with QuickBooks performance
This error can be frustrating and cause data loss or corruption if not resolved quickly. Therefore, it is important to troubleshoot the error and fix it as soon as possible.
How to Troubleshoot “QuickBooks is Unable to Complete this Operation” Error?
There are several methods that can help you fix the QuickBooks error and restore your normal operations. Before you try any of the methods, make sure that you have a backup of your QuickBooks company file and that you are logged in as an administrator. Also, close any other programs that may be running in the background and update your QuickBooks software to the latest version. Here are four methods that you can try to resolve the error:
Method 1: Download QuickBooks Updates
Download and install the latest updates for your QuickBooks software. The updates may contain bug fixes and improvements that can resolve the error and enhance your QuickBooks performance. To download and install QuickBooks updates, follow these steps:
- Open QuickBooks and go to the Help menu
- Select Update QuickBooks Desktop
- Click on the Update Now tab and check the box next to Reset Update
- Click on Get Updates and wait for the download to complete
- Once the download is finished, close QuickBooks and reopen it
- Click on Yes to install the updates and follow the on-screen instructions
- Restart your computer and check if the error is resolved
Method 2: Check Name of Items in the Account
Another possible cause of the QuickBooks error is having invalid or duplicate names of items, accounts, or customers in your QuickBooks company file. This can confuse QuickBooks and prevent it from completing the operation. To check and fix the names of items in your account, follow these steps:
- Open QuickBooks and go to the Lists menu
- Select the list that you want to check, such as Chart of Accounts, Item List, or Customer Center
- Look for any names that are blank, have special characters, or are duplicated
- Edit or delete any invalid or duplicate names by right-clicking on them and choosing Edit or Delete
- Repeat the process for all the lists that you want to check
- Close QuickBooks and reopen it
- Check if the error is resolved
Method 3: Rename the QBWUSER.ini File
The QBWUSER.ini file is a configuration file that stores information about your QuickBooks settings and preferences. Sometimes, this file may get damaged or corrupted and cause the QuickBooks error. To fix this, you can rename the QBWUSER.ini file and let QuickBooks create a new one. However, renaming the file will also erase your list of previously opened company files, so you will need to manually open them again. To rename the QBWUSER.ini file, follow these steps:
- Open the File Explorer and go to the folder where the QBWUSER.ini file is located. The default location is C:\Users\Your User Name\AppData\Local\Intuit\QuickBooks
- Right-click on the QBWUSER.ini file and select Rename
- Add .old at the end of the file name, for example, QBWUSER.ini.old
- Also, rename the EntitlementDataStore.ecml file in the same folder by adding .old at the end of the file name
- Close the File Explorer and open QuickBooks
- Open your company file and check if the error is resolved
Method 4: Verify and Rebuild QuickBooks Company File
Verify and rebuild your QuickBooks company file. This is a tool that can help you check and fix any errors or damage in your company file. To use this tool, follow these steps:
- Open QuickBooks and go to the File menu
- Select Utilities and then Verify Data
- Click on OK to start the verification process and wait for it to complete
- If QuickBooks detects any errors, it will prompt you to rebuild the data
- Click on OK and then select Rebuild Data
- Click on OK to start the rebuilding process and wait for it to complete
- Once the rebuilding is done, click on OK and close QuickBooks
- Reopen QuickBooks and check if the error is resolved
These are some of the methods that can help you fix the “QuickBooks is unable to complete this operation and needs to restart” error. If none of the methods work, get in touch with our team of experts.
The “QuickBooks is unable to complete this operation and needs to restart” error can occur due to various reasons, such as corrupted or outdated files, network issues, firewall settings, or compatibility problems. To fix this error, you can try different methods, such as repairing the QuickBooks installation, deleting the EntitlementDataStore.ecml file, running the QuickBooks File Doctor, rebuilding the company file, or updating QuickBooks to the latest version. If none of these methods work, you may need to contact QuickBooks support or a professional IT expert for further assistance.
Q: How do I repair the QuickBooks installation?
A: You can repair the QuickBooks installation by following these steps:
Close QuickBooks and any other programs running on your computer.
Go to the Control Panel and select Programs and Features.
Find QuickBooks in the list of installed programs and click on Uninstall/Change.
Select Repair and click on Next.
Follow the prompts to complete the repair process.
Restart your computer and open QuickBooks.
Q: What is the QuickBooks File Doctor and how do I use it?
A: The QuickBooks File Doctor is a tool that can help you diagnose and fix common errors related to your company file or network. You can use it by following these steps:
Download and install the QuickBooks File Doctor from the official website.
Launch the tool and select the Browse option to locate your company file.
Choose the option that best describes your problem: either Check your file and network or Check your network only.
Enter your QuickBooks admin password and click on Next.
Wait for the scan to complete and follow the instructions to fix the error.
Q: How do I update QuickBooks to the latest version?
A: You can update QuickBooks to the latest version by following these steps:
Open QuickBooks and go to the Help menu.
Select Update QuickBooks Desktop and click on the Update Now tab.
Check the boxes for the updates you want to download and click on Get Updates.
Once the download is complete, close and reopen QuickBooks.
Click on the Install Now button to install the updates.