User Query: How do I transfer my QuickBooks to a new computer with Windows 10. Is it easy to sync my files?
Moving QuickBooks to another computer manually can be a long and laborious task, but the arrival of the Migration tool has simplified the task considerably. However, users have the option to migrate the software manually as well. Many users face problems moving QuickBooks Desktop to Mac. In this article, we’ll inform you about the steps to transfer QuickBooks to another computer via migrator tool and manually.
Use QuickBooks Migrator Tool to Move or Reinstall QuickBooks Desktop to Another Computer
Users who’ve the 2018 or newer edition of QuickBooks desktop can rely on the migrator tool to transfer QuickBooks to another computer. The migrator tool is available for free and can be downloaded from Intuit’s website. Along with the migrator tool, you’ll also require a USB drive to move your data.
How the Migrator Tool Works When You Need to Transfer QuickBooks
Here’s how the QuickBooks Migrator Tool works:
- Create a one-time password to copy everything securely to the new computer. This password will only be used once to unlock the data in the USB drive and bring it into the new system.
- Migrator Tool can copy data of upto 3 company files to a USB Flash drive. Only the supported file and data types will be copied.
- Migrator tool will take care of all the technical work, but you still need to move the files to the USB drive manually.
- Migrator tool will download and install the appropriate version of QuickBooks desktop accounting software on your new system.
- No other file on your old or new system will be affected by the migrator tool.
Requirements When You Transfer QuickBooks Data to New Computer
What to expect when you switch from QuickBooks Desktop to the new one, here are the few requirements during migrating from QuickBooks Desktop to another system.
Remember: When migrating from QuickBooks Desktop to a new device or Mac:
You will need to find out what data does not convert.
- An internet connection to download the migrator tool and the appropriate version of QuickBooks desktop accounting software to your new system.
- A USB flash drive with enough free space to transfer the desired data from one system to another.
Setting up the Migrator Tool During QuickBooks Transfer
Note: Sign into the company file with an admin account to use the migration tool.
To set up the migrator tool on the old system (the one from which you’ll copy the data), follow the steps provided below:
- In QuickBooks, click on File from the main menu.
- Click on Utilities and then Move QuickBooks to another computer.
- Click on I’m Ready.
- Enter a One-Time Password.
- Select the USB Flash drive and follow the on-screen instructions to copy all the required data.
To set up migrator tool on the new system, follow the steps provided below:
- Insert the USB flash drive with the QuickBooks data into the new computer.
- Open the Flash Drive and launch Move_QuickBooks.bat. The migrator tool will start.
- Enter the One-time password created when copying the data to the flash drive.
- Wait for the tool to finish.
Once the data is moved to your new system, you’ll get a confirmation message. But this isn’t the end of the process. You can also follow along with the following to properly migrate everything:
- Sign into the Payroll Service if you have a subscription.
- Create a Backup schedule in QuickBooks or through the Intuit Data Protect (IDP.)
- Create a backup of your company file on your new system.
- Move the other company files from your old computer to the new one.
As mentioned before, the migrator tool is only capable of copying up to 3 last opened company files. You’ll have to manually transfer the rest of the company files to your new system. Once you’ve copied the company file to the new system, you can simply launch them in QuickBooks and get back to work.
Note: This tool will copy most of your accounting data and personal preferences except:
- Payroll & Payment Setup: If you’ve set up payroll and payments in QuickBooks, then the settings for the same will not be transferred to your new system.
- Intuit Data Protect (IDP) settings: You’ll have to set up Intuit Data Protect on your new system. By doing so, you will set up automatic backup of the company file. Also, the old backup files will still be available through the service.
- Backup Files: Backup files on your old system will not be copied to the new one.
- Few Company Files: Migrator tool will only copy up to 3 company files to the new system. You’ll have to manually copy the rest of the company files to the new system.
- Multi-User settings: If you’ve set up multi-user mode on your old system, then you’ll have to reconfigure it on your new system.
Manually Transfer QuickBooks to New System
To manually transfer QuickBooks to the new system, you have to uninstall the software from the old system and install QuickBooks on the new system. Follow the steps provided below to do the same:
- In your old system, go to the Control Panel.
- Select Program and Features.
- Select Uninstall a Program.
- Select QuickBooks and click on uninstall.
- Download and Install QuickBooks on your new system.
- Launch QuickBooks and enter the product and license numbers to activate the product.
- Transfer your company files to the new computer and launch them with QuickBooks desktop.
With the manual method, your preferences will not be transferred to the new system. So you’ll be starting fresh and will have to configure the entire software once again. This is why we recommend that you stick with the migrator tool to transfer QuickBooks to a new system.
Lost CD & Product and License Numbers
If you’ve lost the installation disk for your version of QuickBooks, then you can simply go to the QuickBooks Desktop Setup page and download the required installation files for your version of the accounting software.
To find your missing product and license numbers, follow the steps provided below:
- Log in to your Intuit account.
- Select the QuickBooks product which you purchased from Intuit.
- View the Product Information.
- Note down the product and license numbers.
However, if you purchased the product from a third party reseller, then you’ll have to contact them to get your product and license numbers.
To know more, get in touch with our experts at our LIVE CHAT.
Read More: How to Fix When Trouble With QuickBooks Transfer?
Q. Do I need to upgrade my company file after migrating the software?
A. No. since you’ll be installing the same version of QuickBooks on your system, you don’t need to upgrade your company file. Even if you use an upgraded version, all you need to do is open the company file with the new version to upgrade it. However, we recommend that you create a backup copy of your company file before upgrading it.
Q. Should I manually transfer the files or use the migrator tool?
A. We recommend using the migrator tool as it does most of the heavy lifting for you. The migrator tool also configures QuickBooks on your new system according to the preferences in the old one.
Q. Will my company files be deleted when I migrate QuickBooks?
A. No, nothing will happen to your company file during the migration process. If you rely on the migrator tool, it will copy up to 3 company files to the new system. However, all your company files will still be available on the new system and none of the data in those files will be altered by the tool.