If you are looking for merging two company files in QuickBooks, it is not possible at this point. However, if you are looking to combine two reports in the QuickBooks, you can do that by one of the few options given below. This will help you include balance sheets, profit, and loss, copy transactions and generate reports and more.
The option will help you in the analysis and crunching of the data in a single file for two different company files reports in a more organized manner. Let us now look into the option available to us for doing this.
There are a Few Points to Remember When Merging QuickBooks Files.
Before initiating the process of merging two QuickBooks files, you need to ensure the following:
- The chart of accounts for the report belonging to different company files should be the same.
- The accounts can be combined in case of the same name, type, and hierarchical level.
- Accounts will not be merged if:
- They are at different levels (for example: “Telephone” account cannot be combined with “Telephone” sub-account).
- They have different spelling. (‘telephone’ cannot be merged with ‘phone’).
- They have different account numbers.
- You will have to log in into your separate company files and switch them to the multi-user mode.
The Following data would not be merged:
- Payroll Checks: Payroll checks combined in form of regular checks won’t appear in the payroll reports.
- Bank Reconciliations: Bank reconciliations cannot be merged in the QuickBooks.
- Negative Inventory Data Files: Data files with negative inventory, assembly build, sales tax items are not merged.
- Customer Notes and To-Do Lists: Customer notes, customer fields from transactions and to-do lists are not merged.
- Memorized Transactions: Transaction memorization cannot be transferred from secondary files
- Customer Fields: Customer Fields that are fetched from transactions cannot be merged with each other.
Also Read: How To Merge Two Accounts in QuickBooks?
Steps to Merge Two QuickBooks Company Files
Solution 1: Use Built-in Combined Reports Feature
In QuickBooks Desktop enterprise, you can merge reports like Balance sheet (standard & summarised), Profit and Loss (standard and summarised), statement of cash flow, trial balance. For combining or merging these reports, you can follow the below steps:
- First of all, click on the QuickBooks report menu > combine reports from multiple companies. Now click on Add files, select the company file, and click on OK. Repeat this step for clicking additional files.
- Now select the reports you want to merge and choose from and to date range and choose the report basis.
- Now select the “Combine report in excel” option and an excel spreadsheet will be opened with merged information.
Solution 2: Merging of files using third-party software
If you do not want to go into the hassle of doing it yourself manually or with the help of the combined report feature in the QuickBooks desktop enterprise, then you can also use third-party software for merging the QuickBooks files. They will combine the reports on your behalf and provide the merged information back to you.
Solution 3: Merge Two QuickBooks Files Manually
Through this option, you will have to manually export the reports from each company file that you wish to merge and combine them in the excel spreadsheet. For this purpose, you need to take the below steps:
- You need to open each company file and select the report that you wish to merge and export them in the excel spreadsheet and save them.
- Now manually combine or merge both the reports extracted from different company files in a new Microsoft excel spreadsheet and click on save.
This article will teach you how to merge two company files. Follow the steps in this article to merge two company files. If you are having any problems, please contact our experts for help. In case you need further information or have some queries in your mind, you can reach our LIVE CHAT technical help-desk anytime.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I merge data in QuickBooks desktop?
QuickBooks Desktop for Windows
1. Go to the lists tab, then select the list from which you want to merge entries.
2. Keep the name of the entry you want to keep.
3. Click the entry you want to edit, and then select Edit.
4. Click the Name button, then select Save & Close.
5. Select Yes to merge the entries.
How do I transfer data from one company to another in QuickBooks?
1. Go to Settings ⚙.
2. Under Tools, select Export data.
3. Click the Lists tab.
4. Select Employees.
5. Hit Export to Excel.