Going from creating invoices to collecting the money is a big challenge. Fortunately, QuickBooks Online has a solution for you. In this blog, learn how to use QuickBooks Online to create, send, and collect invoices.
Quickbooks Online is here to help simplify life so you can focus on what matters most: your business. We’ll make the invoicing process easy and automated, while giving you extra time to do great work.
QuickBooks Online is our pick for small business accounting software. We hope this free instructional tutorial helps you explore our platform and decide if it’s right for your needs. To those who haven’t signed up for QuickBooks yet, you’re welcome to take a 30-day trial or try a three-month premium subscription for 50% off.
An invoice is a document that details out the cost of services and products which you’ve provided to your customers. In most cases, invoices are designated for those specific sales in which the customers might not be paying you directly, and so the payment records are stacked for future reference and tracking when paid.
When you’re issuing a sales receipt for immediate payment, it doesn’t matter if you issue an invoice. This is because when you’re immediately paid instead of being required to wait for your credit card to be processed, the formality of giving the customer an invoice is nullified.
For invoices to be valuable, they need to be sent. Otherwise, you won’t understand the health of your business and you’ll miss opportunities for growth.
Well, the next section is going to take away some of those hazy thoughts and highlight a few of the most poignant issues that accounts for why you should create and send invoices in QuickBooks Online.
Why Creating and Sending Particular Invoices in QuickBooks Online?
QuickBooks Online is an accounting software that’s ideal for small to mid-sized businesses. This article will help you understand why it’s important to know how to create and send invoices there, including the points mentioned below.
- Both the revenue amount and the receivable amount are viewable.
- Keep your customer information updated and provide tools for collection of payments.
- Want to give your customers a way to pay you quickly and easily? Set up payment links so they can do that right on the landing page.
- Do you want a more streamlined and efficient way of collecting payments, especially for recurring customers? No problem! You can set automatic reminders for when a payment is due.
How to Create and Send Particular Invoices in QuickBooks Online?
When you’re sending invoices in QuickBooks Online, they will be generated when you convert existing estimates into invoices. In case no estimate has been provided to the customer, or an estimate is missing at all, you’ll need to start from scratch.
- To see your estimate, go to the Sales dashboard and choose Customers.
- Choose a customer with an existing estimate.
- Choose where you want the estimate to appear.
- Once you’ve created a new estimate, click ‘Create Invoice’ to initiate the conversion into an invoice.
- Fill out the form with the information that is correct for your business.
- Create a new invoice.
Steps to Create an Invoice in QuickBooks Online
- Tap on +New and next choose Invoice for creating a new invoice.
- Choose a Customer.
- If you’ve already input the customer’s email ID before, enter it again.
- You have a variety of options when it comes to fulfilling your Amazon order. On the form, enter the item’s title and other necessary information such as service or product’s description, amount, quantity, rate, and tax.
- Input a message for the invoice.
- Choose Save and Send.
- Once you have created your invoice, QuickBooks Online will send it to your registered email address.
After creation, if you need to send the invoices and also set up reminder email for the same, the following steps would be a great way to help you accomplish this task:
Steps to Send an Invoices in QuickBooks Online
- Click on the customer’s menu and then go to customer center by choosing it from the drop down list.
- Now choose “New Customer & Job” and click “New Customer.”
- In the name field enter the customer’s name. In the additional information field provide all the needed information such as contact number, address, the fax number and any other information that you would require to trap the customer.
- You can also add notes related to customer in the records.
- There are other records that you can add such as Customer Record. But click on each and enter the necessary information there.
- Now click next to add another customer or just click OK.
Steps for Invoice Setup
- In the Customer’s Menu find and select Sales Receipts
- Now select the Customize Button and click on Manage Templates.
- From the list of templates click on each template until you find a suitable one and then click OK.
- Now click on Copy button available in the Manage Templates window where and then provide a new name for the template in the space provided in the Template Name text area.
- But now choose customize and then choose Customize Design and Layout.
- Select Customize Data Layout and after that Basic Customization.
- Now tick mark the Use Logo box and pick up a logo. Click open the image.
- In the Company & Transaction Information section update information that you want to add or remove. Click OK
- You can customize information with the help of Additional Customization feature.
Read This: Email Invoices from QuickBooks
How To Create an Invoice From Scratch in QuickBooks Online
If you’re not looking to create an estimate, you can click “New Invoice” and follow the simple steps.
Step 1. Navigate to Create Invoice
First, click on the menu bar in the left corner of your QuickBooks Online screen and then select Invoice in the left column under Customers.
Step 2: Enter New Invoice Information
The create invoice screen should appear so that you can provide the necessary information for your document. Looking at this screen (shown in the animated GIF below) will help you remember what to do next when creating an invoice.
Depending on the settings you selected in How to Customize Invoices, each invoice will have a different set of fields that you’ll need to complete. The most common are listed below.
- Customer : If you’re planning on emailing an invoice to a customer, select the customer and job, if applicable, from the Customer drop-down box. Preview your invoice before sending it by clicking Preview on the top right corner of the screen. Make sure you have entered necessary information into fields such as billing address, shipping address, terms of sale and location to create a professional-looking invoice.
- Invoice date: When you create an invoice, you’ll have the option to customize the date using the date text field.
- Service date: Enter when the service or shipment was completed.
- Product/Service: If this is a new Product or Service in QuickBooks, go ahead and select it from the drop-down list. Then, fill in all the necessary information as explained in the step-by-step tutorial, How to Configure a New Product or Service in QuickBooks Online. Once you’ve selected your product or service, all of its fields should populate automatically!
- Due: It takes a moment to set up, but having an automatically calculated commission rate is invaluable. It not only means you won’t forget commissions as easily as before, but it’s also helpful when you want to see what your total sales are or calculate your customer lifetime value.
- Quantity: If you know the quantity of each product or service you sell, come back to Affilinet to calculate the earnings for each listing.
You can view and print invoices in three ways: View them on screen, save them for later or export them to PDF. In the Invoice Options window, click the Print button in the bottom menu bar, and then choose your preferred way of printing.
Step 3: Click Save or Save and Send
Once the required information has been provided and you’re satisfied with the invoice, click on Save or Save, and Send. If you need to send the invoice immediately, select Save and Send and continue as you did in Step 4 of converting an estimate into an invoice.
To get more info contact QuickBooks Tech Support. They are always ready to provide you with the required technical assistance. Being experts they can guide you thoroughly and help you in solving the technical glitches. Excited to learn how to create an invoice in QuickBooks Online? You can now make invoices from scratch or by converting existing invoices. The next tutorial in our QuickBooks Online Training Course is How to receive payments in QuickBooks Online.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to Make invoice with QuickBooks?
Step 1: Create and send an invoice
1. Select + New and then Invoice or Send invoice.
2. From the Customer ▼ dropdown, select a customer.
3. Review the Invoice date.
4. From the Product/Service column, select a product or service.
5. Enter a quantity, rate and change amount if needed.
6. Select a VAT rate.
7. When you’re ready to send the invoice, select Save and send.
How do you send invoices to customers?
Tips for how to write an invoice via email
1. Rather than including your invoice as an attachment, paste it in the body of your email.
2. Include all the important information in the subject line.
3. Consider using an invoice template
4. Make sure your invoices include all the information needed to fulfill your customer’s needs.