User Error Message: There is an issue backing up your company file. QuickBooks is unable to backup the company file. QuickBooks now keeps displaying this message every time I exit the program. However, it appears that information is not being backed up, yet it is said to be backed up.With QuickBooks, you can easily back up your company files. You can also set automatic backups and direct QuickBooks to back up your company file at regular intervals.
However, all software’s are prone to bugs and errors and QuickBooks Backup Failed (Unable to Restore Company File) is no exception. Some users have complained that they faced the QuickBooks backup failed or won’t restore it & could not copy company file. Such issue occurs while trying to take back up of their company files. If you are also getting the QuickBooks unable to backup company file error message of late, you should go through this blog till the end to know how to backup QuickBooks desktop. Here, we have mentioned some easy ways to fix this QuickBooks Back up failed issue once and for all! Just follow the given below steps mentioned in this blog and troubleshoot the error quickly and hassle-free.
But first, let’s get to know why QuickBooks won’t restore backup & where this issue arises from.
Reasons that cause the QuickBooks back up failed Issue
- The primary reason for occurrence of this error is the non-availability of the device that stores the backup company file. This means, if you do not have the external storage device connected to your system, you can’t backup QuickBooks company file.
- If you have set up a wrong backup path for your file, it can lead QuickBooks to freeze . It may result into the QuickBooks back up failed issue
- At times, attacks by viruses, malware infections or other hardware failures may damage your company data. In such cases, you may experience that you can’t save company files & QuickBooks back up failed occurs.
- If you do not have enough space in the memory of your computer, it won’t be able to store the company backup file. This may lead to the QuickBooks backing up issues.
Read More: Know how to recover data from QuickBooks Enterprise?
Simple ways to repair QuickBooks Back up failed problem on your computer & update settings
Here are some simple solutions to fix the QuickBooks back up failed issue & how to restore it –
Solution 1: Verify & Rebuild Your QuickBooks Company File
- Open QuickBooks
- Go to the File menu
- Click the Utilities drop-down box to select Verify Data.
- If the Verify Data tool spots issues with your company file, go back to the Utilities drop-down box once again to click on Rebuild Data.
- Wait till the tool repairs the damage caused in the company file. After it gets completed, try taking a backup of the company file again.
If you still do not get the desired results, you can try another tool, the QuickBooks File Doctor to rectify this issue.
Read More: How to Restore a Portable File in QuickBooks?
Solution 2: Verify the QuickBooks Back-up Directory
- Open QuickBooks
- Go to the Preferences section
- Go to the section named Backup Options
- Go to the Local Backup Only section and check the backup directory selected in QuickBooks
- Please ensure that you have set up a valid path for QuickBooks to create the backup file.
- In case you find the backup path to be unavailable or incorrect, click Browse to select the correct location where you wish to keep your company file backup.
- You may also decide to change the backup path before you take the company file back up. You can do this by visiting the Create Backup window.
Solution 3: Rename the QuickBooks Network Data File
- Close QuickBooks Desktop
- Open the Windows File Manager.
- Go to C:\ Users\ Public\ Public Documents\ Intuit\ QuickBooks \ and search for the network data (.ND) file.
- The name of this file will be same as that of your company file, with the .ND extension.
- Right click on the file name and select Rename.
- Add .OLDFILE as the extension of the file (at the end of the file name)
- Save the file.
- Now try to take a backup of your company file again.
- If you unable to save QuickBooks file & back up failedissue still exists, try the next method to troubleshoot.
Solution 4: Reset the QuickBooks Updates
- Open QuickBooks
- Go to the Help section
- Click the Update QuickBooks Desktop option
- Now click the Update Now tab.
- Check the Reset Updates option
- Then click on Get Updates
- Click OK to continue
- When QuickBooks asks for your permission to install updates, click OK again.
- After the updates are installed, close the Update QuickBooks window
- Restart QuickBooks Desktop.
- Try taking a backup of the company file again.
We hope the troubleshooting steps mentioned above have helped you a great deal to fix the QuickBooks restore back up failed error. If you are still not able to get rid of this issue, or, if you experience any difficulties in carrying out the above-mentioned steps, we recommend you to speak to our experts.
Few Important Pages to Read:
- What to do when SSD Drive won’t open on QuickBooks Desktop?
- How to fix when QuickBooks cant find company file?
- How to reduce when QuickBooks file is huge?
- Intuit data protect is not backing up
- How to save company file when QuickBooks failed after update?
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is a QuickBooks Company File?
QuickBooks company file is a destination where all the financial data related to a company is stored. A company file can be identified with the extension .QBW. It is stored as a single file and is not branched into multiple files. The user can open, move or copy the company file as and when required. Moreover, the QuickBooks company data file can be imported among different QuickBooks versions.
How to back up or restore QuickBooks desktop company files manually?
A company file can be manually restored or backed up, or it can be automatically backed up. Follow the instructions below to back up a company file manually.
Steps to manually backup QuickBooks desktop company data file are:
1. Select back up from the file menu.
2. Select the backup company file option from the drop-down menu.
3. To change the filename and specify the backup location, click the Browse button.
4. Save the file.
5. Optional: Other objects can be selected in the back up options box.
6. Click the OK button.
If you’re having trouble backing up to a CD-R or CD-RW drive, back up to your hard drive first. Then, backup the QuickBooks company file to flash drive or to CD using Windows Explorer or your CD “burner” software.
How to repair QuickBooks company data file using the Rebuild Data tool?
QuickBooks Desktop has the Rebuild Data tool, which automatically corrects small company file data errors.
1. Select Rebuild Data from the File menu, then hover over Utilities.
2. Select OK on the QuickBooks Information window. To save a backup, follow the onscreen instructions.
3. Allow the software to repair your file. It might take a while. QuickBooks may appear to be frozen, but it is still functional as long as you can move your mouse.
4. Select OK when the tool is finished.
How to repair QuickBooks backup data files when restore backup failed?
You can manually repair your QuickBooks desktop company file by rebuilding your data via following steps:
1. Select File from the File menu. Then pick Verify Data from the Utilities menu.
2. Allow the tool to do a data check on your file.
3. To see the mistakes, select Expand All from the Verify Results screen.
4. Contact our LIVE CHAT for assistance to repair your company file.
QuickBooks desktop backup encountered a problem while backing up file, this error terminates the backup. Now what to do?
This problem occurs when the folders you are looking for are not present on your computer. Reach us to get your issue fixed on time.
Company File System Date 7/28/2021
Verify run on 7/28/2021 11:10:21
Issues found 27
Errors you can fix by rebuilding your data