QuickBooks closes unexpectedly with or without an error because of several reasons. For instance, you may be creating an invoice and the QuickBooks will suddenly stop responding and close automatically. And the program can crash while performing many different tasks. If your tasks halt, and the unsaved work gets deleted at times, it can cost your business a lot of money. To avoid such incidents, we have produced an article to help you learn how to troubleshoot these problems.
- Error Support
- Data Import
- Data Conversion
- Payment Solutions
- Payroll Support
- Data Export
- Software Integration
- QuickBooks Printer Support
- Complete QuickBooks Solutions
- Tax-Related Issues
- Data Damage Recovery
- Installation, Activation Help
- QuickBooks Windows Support
Have your QuickBooks desktop crashing and stops working error ever prevented you from being able to run the software? If so, then don’t risk it. Learn the right fixes that’ll take care of your issue and put an end to crashes and freezes.
In this article, you’ll learn steps to resolve QuickBooks closes unexpectedly.
Instances in Which QuickBooks Closes Unexpectedly
There can be several instances in which QuickBooks closes unexpectedly, including but not limited to:
- Working on Invoices, Sales Orders and other transactions
- Emailing invoice or report
- Creating simultaneous reports
- Working in various Centers such as report center
Read More: Solutions for when QuickBooks has stopped working error
You may face one of the following three scenarios:
- QuickBooks stops responding
- QuickBooks crashes on start without any error message
- QuickBooks crashes when the QBWuser.ini file gets damaged..
- QuickBooks crashes when the opening company file is damaged in the directory
- QuickBooks desktop crashes on startup because an incomplete installation was attempted.
- You can also experience QuickBooks crashing when you are using a low-end PC.
- An alternative reason behind the QuickBooks closes on loading time can be corrupted hard disk.
- The QuickBooks program keeps crashing. There may be an issue with the program files or installation source.
- Sometimes the file name may be very big or it may have special characters, which may cause the application to run slowly and possibly crash.
- A damaged or incompatible Windows operating system is also a big reason for the error.
- Due to QuickBooks Bex Error.
Even though the three scenarios appear different, the cause for them is usually damaged program files, which can be fixed by updating, repairing, or reinstalling the software.
Get a Free User Guide “Why to Upgrade to QuickBooks 2022”
Headache?. Huh, Looking to Upgrade from Your Current Version of QuickBooks?. But frustrated which version will be best suited according to your need. Don’t worry, Get a comprehensive list of reasons, why you should upgrade to the QuickBooks 2022 version.
Get these 20 tips on why to Upgrade to QuickBooks 2022.
Here’s How to Troubleshoot “Quickbooks keeps crashing” Errors
Let’s take a closer look at the various methods that can be applied to resolve “QuickBooks crashes when opening company file”. These methods have been listed below for you.
Solution 1: Update QuickBooks Desktop
You can update the software by following the steps provided below:
- From the start menu, right click on QuickBooks icon and select Run as Administrator.
- On the No Company Open screen, click on Help.
- Select Update QuickBooks Desktop.
- In the Options tab, select Mark All.
- Click on Save.
- In the Update Now tab, select the checkbox against Reset Updates.
- Click on Get Updates.
QuickBooks will download the updates and ask for confirmation to install them. Click on Yes, and the updates will be installed. After that, restart your system.
Like other software, QuickBooks may throw errors, most of which can be fixed by simply updating the software. Intuit is very quick at addressing issues, so simply updating can resolve this error.
Read More: What to do When QuickBooks Crashes after Switching Company Files?
Solution 2: Open the QuickBooks Tool Hub and select the Quick Fix my Program
The Quickbooks Tool Hub can sometimes fix a Quickbooks crashes when opening company file errors. You need to run the Fix my Program from the Quickbooks Tool Hub by following the given steps below:
- Close the QuickBooks Desktop application.
- You will then download the QuickBooks Tool Hub file.
- Open the downloaded file, QuickBooksToolHub.exe, and install the Tool Hub from the instructions on screen.
- We provide you with the information you need to help you make a change in your life.
- At last, reopen the QuickBooks Desktop application.
Solution 3: Run the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic tool from the Tool Hub
The QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool starts working before many bugs are known to exist, automatically fixing issues with Microsoft components like QuickBooks online keeps freezing.
- Open the QuickBooks Tool Hub, select Program Problems.
- Then, run the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic tool and let it diagnose the issue. It can take up to 20 minutes.
- Close QuickBooks and restart your computer after the tool finishes running.
Solution 4: Rename the QBWUSER.ini file
QBWUSER.ini file is the software file which stores the data of QuickBooks. Sometimes you might have problems with this file, you need to rename it, then fix the issue which would be solved with no further errors.
Note: Renaming the QBWUSER.INI file erases any files that were already open before. Make sure you re-open all of the company files if you rename this file.
- Firstly, you have to open the folder in which you saved the QBWUSER.ini file. Follow the given file path:
- Users[Your user name]AppDataLocalIntuitQuickBooks [year]
- If you are unable to find the folder, then you might need to enable hidden files and folders.
- Right-click on the QBWUSER.ini file and select the Rename option.
- Now, add .old at the end of the file name. For example, QBWUSER.ini.old and rename the EntitlementDataStore.ecml file.
- At last, try to open your QuickBooks Desktop app again. If it’s still not working, check the error still persists.
Solution 5: Setting Up Automatic Updates
We recommend that you set up automatic updates so that you always have the latest versions of files on your system. To set up automatic updates, follow the steps provided below:
- Click on Help from the main menu.
- Select Update QuickBooks Desktop.
- From the Update Now tab, select Reset Updates to delete all the previous update downloads.
- Click on Get Updates.
- Wait for the updates to download, and restart QuickBooks.
- Accept the request to install the updates.
- From the Options tab, select Yes for automatic updates.
- Click on Close.
You’ve successfully set up automatic updates. Wherever Intuit provides a new update, QuickBooks will automatically download it in the background and provide a confirmation when the update is ready to be installed.
Read More: QuickBooks not launching when opening company file?
Solution 6: Downloading Updates Manually
You can download and install updates manually. To do so, you can follow the steps provided below:
- Open Downloads & Updates page.
- Select your country.
- Select your product.
- Select the version (year) of the product.
- Click on search.
- Select the Updates you want to download.
- Click on Get Updates.
- Once the updates are downloaded, launch and install them.
- Restart your system.
This method is preferable when you want to update multiple systems connected to a single network or server.
Read More: What to do when QuickBooks hangs while installing abs pdf driver?
Solution 7: Repair The Program
By repairing QuickBooks, you can stop the QuickBooks closes unexpectedly error. But before you repair or reinstall QuickBooks, you should create a backup of your company file.
To repair program files related to QuickBooks, follow the steps provided below:
- Log into an admin account on windows.
- Go to the Control Panel from the start menu.
- Select Program and Features, and Click on Uninstall a Program.
- Right click on QuickBooks and select Repair.
- Follow the on-screen instructions until the repair function completes.
- Click on Finish and restart your system.
Repairing QuickBooks simply fixes all the files so that the error is automatically resolved. But in rare instances, you may have to reinstall the software by following the steps provided below:
- Go to the Control Panel.
- Select Program and Features.
- Click on Uninstall a Program.
- Select QuickBooks and click on Uninstall.
- Follow on-screen instructions until the process completes.
- Restart your system.
- Download the setup of your version of QuickBooks from Intuit’s website.
- Launch the setup and follow on-screen instructions.
- Enter Product and License numbers for product activation.
- Once the installation is complete, click on Finish.
You need the product and license numbers to activate QuickBooks; otherwise you’ll be stuck with the trial version, which expires within a month. You can find these numbers from the package of the installation disc or your Intuit account. In case you purchased the software from a third party reseller, then contact him or her for information regarding the same.
Even though QuickBooks closes unexpectedly errors may seem complex, it is often resolved simply by updating the software. Apart from that, you can repair or reinstall QuickBooks to get rid of this error.
To know more or for help with this error, get in touch with our experts at our LIVE CHAT.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does repairing or reinstalling delete my company file data?
No, it doesn’t. Although program files are impacted, your company file is left unaltered from repair and reinstall process. But to be on the safe side, you should create a backup of your company file before repairing or uninstalling QuickBooks.
How long does it take to update the software?
Time taken depends largely upon the size of the update file and your internet speed. Once the update is downloaded, it takes only a few minutes to install them.
What should I do if QuickBooks still closes unexpectedly?
You can reach out to our experts who can diagnose the error and resolve it within minimum turnaround time.
Without showing any error my QuickBooks disappear while working in report center – what to do?
These could be caused by problems with your computer, or the way QuickBooks interacts with your system. Always upgrade QuickBooks Desktop to the most recent version as soon as it becomes available to guarantee you have all the latest features.
Few More Good Reads:
How to Fix When QuickBooks Unable to Restore Company File?
Find the QuickBooks Hosting Free Trial