User Query: I am getting QuickBooks error 1904: “C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks2021\ICWrapper.dll” failed to register in Windows 10. Do you let me know what went wrong, I was trying to install the latest 2021 QuickBooks.
QuickBooks Error 1904 (desktop install error) can be a company or program file error, or an error related to programs including Bitdefender, Adobe Flash, and the QBversionToll.dll. In this article, you’ll learn more about resolving this error. Go through each method in a consecutive manner.
Note: Before we begin, ensure that you’ve installed the latest updates for QuickBooks on your system. To install the updates, go to Help > Update QuickBooks > Update Now > Reset all > Update. Once the updates are downloaded, restart QuickBooks to install them.
QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool, available through the QuickBooks Tool Hub, can be used for diagnosing issues with the program files related to the accounting software. This tool will scan all the program files and dependencies related to QuickBooks, and thereafter, proceed to fix the identified issues.
To use the Install Diagnostic Tool to resolve QuickBooks Error 1904, follow the steps provided below:
- Download and Install QuickBooks Tool Hub on your system.
- Go to the start menu and select QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Select Installation Issues, then QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool.
- When the scan finishes, restart your system.
The tool can take up to 20 minutes to scan all the program files. However, if any error is identified, the software will fix it automatically.
Fix Windows Components
Dependencies for QuickBooks including the .NET Framework and Microsoft MSXML must be installed and properly working on the system to ensure an error free experience. If either of the dependencies is damaged, then you’ll encounter the QuickBooks Error 1904.
To repair either of the programs, follow the steps provided below:
- Log into Windows through an Administrator account.
- From the Start menu, select Control Panel.
- Click on Program & Features, then Uninstall a Program.
- Select either of .NET Framework or MSXML and click on Repair.
- Follow on-screen instructions to repair the software successfully.
- Restart your system.
You can also reinstall these software but doing so is not recommended. The repair feature can easily resolve any errors related to these programs.
Configure Security Settings
Windows security settings, in some cases, can interfere with the accounting software, leading to QuickBooks Error 1904. First, we’ll try to run QuickBooks as an administrator and then disable the User Account Control settings. If a security setting is causing the error, then by the end of this section, the error will be resolved successfully.
To run QuickBooks as an administrator, follow the steps provided below:
- From the Start menu, right click on QuickBooks.
- Select Open File Location.
- Right click on QuickBooks application file with the .EXE extension.
- Select Run as Administrator.
Check for the error. If you do not encounter it, then go back and right click on the application file and select properties. From the compatibility tab, mark the option to always run as an administrator. However, if the error persists, then change the user permission settings by following the steps provided below:
- From the Start menu, select File Explorer.
- Go to the C drive Program Files folder, and double click on Common Files.
- Right click on any empty space and select Properties.
- From the Security tab, select Edit.
- From the ‘Group or usernames’ section, select Users.
- From the ‘Permission for users’ section, turn on permission for:
- Read & Execute
- List folder content
- Click on Apply, then Ok.
In some cases, you may need to install QuickBooks in an admin account first. For this, you can simply download the setup and follow the on-screen instructions till the installation is finished. Your company file data will not be affected installing QuickBooks in an admin account.
Users who’ve encrypted the folder, which contains the company file, need to add QuickBooks desktop to the exclusion list for Bitdefender; otherwise, QuickBooks will not be able to access the company file and throw the QuickBooks Error 1904.
Adobe Flash Player
Users who encountered the Error 1904 while installing Adobe Flash Player should follow the steps provided below:
- Run the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool.
- From the start menu, select Control Panel.
- Click on Uninstall a Program.
- Select Adobe Flash Player ActiveX.
- Click on Uninstall and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Download Adobe Flash Player and reinstall it on your system.
In cases where the QBversionTool.dll is damaged, users need to first run the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool and then follow the steps provide below:
- From the Start menu, select Notepad.
- In notepad, type in ‘QBTEST’.
- Go to File and click on Save as.
- Save the file to C:\Program Files\Common Files.
If the issue does not resolve, then install QuickBooks as an administrator.
To know more, you can get in touch with our experts at our LIVE CHAT.
Q. Would adding the QuickBooks folder to the exception list create security issues?
A. No. QuickBooks already encrypts all of the data in your company file. Therefore, all the accounting data can only be accessed by users with proper authentication details.
Q. From where can I purchase the .NET Framework?
A. You do not need to purchase the software. It is provided for free by Microsoft. Simply download the setup and install it on your system.
Q. How do I ensure that my company file does not get deleted when installing QuickBooks in an admin account?
A. Installing or uninstalling QuickBooks does not delete the company file.