User Query: My QuickBooks desktop not working & showing QuickBooks error 6189 816. This happened just after I saved company files on another HDD. How can I access the company file now?
QuickBooks Error 6189 is a connectivity error usually caused by damaged program files. The accounting software works perfectly in single-user mode, but as soon as you shift to multi-user mode, you may get an error. To resolve this issue, users can restart the servers or rely on the QuickBooks Tool Hub. In this article, we’ll learn to resolve this error through various methods.
Solution 1 – QuickBooks Tool Hub
QuickBooks Tool Hub is an amalgamation of multiple tools provided by Intuit to resolve commonly faced errors. Users can rely on this to resolve company file, program file, and network errors. This software is available for free and can be downloaded and installed without any hassle.
Read More: What to do QuickBooks Won’t Open Company File?
To use QuickBooks tool hub and resolve QuickBooks error code 6189, follow the steps provided below:
- Download and install the QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Launch the program.
- Select Program Problems and click on Quick Fix my Program.
- Wait for the tool to scan your company and program files for any possible error. This can take a significant amount of time.
- When the tool has resolved the issue, launch QuickBooks and open a company file.
If the software still throws the QuickBooks Error 6189, then you need to restart your servers and workstations.
Solution 2 – Restart Server and Workstations
Resetting the whole system can often resolve this desktop connectivity issue. For one, the database server manager has to link once again to all the company files. This in turn resolved the QuickBooks Error 6189.
To resolve QuickBooks error code 6189 by restarting the server and workstations, follow the steps provided below:
- Restart the server on which you’ve hosted the company file.
- Restart each workstation one at a time.
- Launch QuickBooks Desktop first on your server, then on the workstations.
Note: You may need to contact your hosting provider if you’re not hosting the software or the company file locally.
In case you still get the QuickBooks Error 6189, then follow the method below.
Solution 3 – Use QuickBooks Database Server Manager on the Server
Usually, the server contains all the company files. All the other workstations access the company file through the server. If the connection isn’t working properly or the database server manager hasn’t registered a company file, then you’re likely to encounter an error.
To properly use multi-user mode, run the database server manager on your server by following the steps provided below:
- Launch the QuickBooks Tool Hub, and select Network Issues.
- Click on QuickBooks Database Server Manager. Select to install QuickBooks on your server.
- Choose Custom or Network Install instead of Express Install.
- After QuickBooks and Database Server Manager are installed on your system, click on the start menu, and launch the Database Server Manager.
- Click on Start Scan. If you can’t view any company files listed, then select Browse and choose the folder which contains all the company files. Click on Start Scan.
- QuickBooks Database Server Manager will automatically adjust the firewall rules in Windows. This eliminates any manual rules that you may have had to create.
- Click on Close.
- Launch QuickBooks on the server.
Read More: Why My QuickBooks Database Server Stopped Working?
Note: If you’ve installed the database server manager on any of the workstations, then you need to ensure that the workstation isn’t set to host the multi-user mode.
If this fails to resolve the problem, then move the company file to the local hard drive. Then, open the company file with QuickBooks. If you still encounter the error, then you may need to repair program files related to QuickBooks. To do so, follow the steps provided below:
- Click on the Start menu, and select Control Panel.
- Click on Program & Features, then Uninstall a Program.
- Click on QuickBooks, and select Repair.
- Follow on-screen instructions to repair all the program files related to the accounting software.
- Click on Finish and restart your system.
Repairing the program files will not alter the company file in any way. However, you may have to reset your preferences in QuickBooks. At this point, the error would have resolved for most users.
To know more or to get QuickBooks Error 6189 resolved, you can get in touch with our experts at our Live Chat.
Frequently Asked Questions:
I’ve rescanned the company files using the database server manager, but I can’t view my company file. What should I do?
You can click on Browse and select the folder which contains all the company files. Then, click on Start Scan. Once the company files are scanned, they’ll be listed in the database server manager and can be synced across multiple devices.
How do I purchase the QuickBooks Tool Hub?
You don’t need to purchase the QuickBooks Tool Hub, which is a freeware available through Intuit’s website. Download and install this tool to use the provided features with which you can resolve common company file, program file, and network errors.