User Query: How do I fix; my outlook is not responding to QuickBooks. When open, it says QuickBooks is having problems communicating with your email program. I just switched to Mac. Now how can I email from QuickBooks using Outlook?
Outlook is an important email client for QuickBooks. Once you’ve integrated the two software, you can send emails directly from QuickBooks. This way, you can increase your productivity and create more value for your business. However, in some cases, users encounter errors which cause the email to fail. In this article, you’ll learn how to solve the error when QuickBooks is unable to send email to Outlook or ‘QuickBooks outlook is not responding.’
Note: Before beginning, ensure that you have an active version of Microsoft office. If you’re using Microsoft Office 365, then ensure that you have an active subscription for the same. If, however, your version or subscription of Microsoft office has expired, then get a new license or subscription for the same.
Read More: How to solve email issue – My QuickBooks unable to send invoices via email?
Log in Issue with Outlook
Let’s get the first issue cleared up at the start. Many users can’t log into their office 365 accounts, but this problem can be solved simply by updating the software to the latest edition. To do so, follow the steps provided below:
- Launch Microsoft Outlook.
- From the File tab, click on Office Account.
- Click on About Outlook.
- Click on Update Options and then Update Now.
- Once the process is complete, try to login once again to the Office 365 account.
Read More: Using G Suit, QuickBooks Gmail is Not Working – What to Do?
This will solve any login issue that you may be facing when working with Outlook. However, if you’re getting the error ‘QuickBooks is unable to send email to Outlook’, then you need to follow with the methods provided below.
Test Issues with Microsoft Office
If the error is caused by Microsoft Office, then the following steps will confirm the same:
- Launch Microsoft Office.
- Create a New Document.
- From the File menu, click on Send.
- Select Email as PDF Attachment.
If the email failed, then the issue is with Microsoft Office and not QuickBooks. In this scenario, you need to reach out to a Microsoft Official. On the other hand, if the email was sent successfully, then the root cause of the error is QuickBooks or the MAPI32.dll file. We’ve mentioned the steps to deal with both and resolve the error in minimum turnaround time.
Read More: Getting Password Issue, How to Fix QuickBooks Email or Password Is Incorrect Issue?
Don’t Run QuickBooks as an Administrator
Running QuickBooks as an administrator can cause errors because the rest of the integrated applications don’t have the same privilege. Unless you want to manually change that, we recommend that you disable running QuickBooks as an administrator by default.
To change this setting, follow the steps provided below:
- In the Start Menu, type ‘QuickBooks’.
- Right Click on the QuickBooks icon and select Open File Location.
- Right Click on QuickBooks.exe and select Properties.
- Go to the Compatibility tab.
- Unmark the option for ‘Run this program as Administrator’.
- Click on Apply, then Ok.
This will change the default startup option for QuickBooks. Now, you’ll have to specifically run QuickBooks as an administrator; otherwise, it will run as a normal program. Now try to send the email once again through QuickBooks. If that fails, then proceed with the method mentioned below.
Read More: What to do when getting trouble & unable to emailing QuickBooks documents?
Reset Outlook as the Default Email Client
In the next series of steps, we’ll reset Outlook as the default email client for QuickBooks. By doing so, we can resolve many underlying errors which may result from improper integration. Here are the steps for the same:
- Launch QuickBooks, and click on Edit from the main menu.
- Click on Preferences.
- Click on Send Forms.
- Go to the My Preferences tab, and select Outlook as the default email option.
- Click ok.
Read More: Fail to Email Invoices Using QuickBooks 2015 – What Should I Do?
Send a test email. If the error persists, follow the steps provided below:
- Launch QuickBooks, and click on Edit from the manu menu.
- Click on Preferences, then Send Forms.
- Go to the My Preferences tab, and select Webmail or QuickBooks email as the default email option. Hit ok.
- Now go back to My Preferences tab and change the default email option to Outlook. Hit Ok.
- Restart your system.
Resetting email preferences forces the integration and any underlying issue is resolved automatically. However, if you encounter an error while making Outlook the default email option, then the reason for the error is Outlook itself. In this case, you’ll have to get in touch with a Microsoft professional for further help.
Try to resend the email. If it fails, follow the method provided below.
Internet Explorer Email Settings
Internet explorer may not be the browser you use for browning the internet, but it is still used by many applications to connect to the internet and email service. Therefore, having the correct email preferences for Internet Explorer is essential.
To correctly set the email preferences for Internet Explorer, follow the steps provided below:
- Launch Internet Explorer, and click on Tools.
- Select Settings and click on Internet Options.
- Select Set Programs from the Programs tab.
- After clicking on Set your default programs, select Outlook.
- Click on Apply, then Ok.
- Close the Internet Explorer and Restart your system.
Internet Explorer is used for running web services in the background. Both Outlook and QuickBooks rely on the program to function properly. By ensuring that the correct preferences are set for Internet Explorer, we can eliminate yet another underlying cause for the error.
Try to send a test email. If it fails, follow the method provided below.
The MAPI32.dll file can be overwritten by the installation of some programs. In such a case, you need to repair the file. Luckily, many users have faced this program, so the file to fix MAPI32.dll is already present in Windows. When you run the Fixmapi.exe, it will repair the file or create a new one, which then will enable you to work with Outlook and QuickBooks without encountering any further errors.
To repair MAPI32.dll on your system, follow the steps provided below:
- Go to the Start menu.
- Click on File Explorer.
- Go to C:/Windows/System32.
- Double click on Fixmapi.exe.
- Follow on-screen instructions to repair the MAPI32.dll file.
- Click on Finish and Restart your system.
In most cases, this should solve the problem. Try to resend the email. If it fails, follow the method prescribed below.
We don’t recommend this method until it’s absolutely necessary. Although you won’t lose any of your company file data, you’ll have to reset your preferences in QuickBooks after the software is reinstalled.
To reinstall QuickBooks, follow the steps provided below:
- From the Start menu, click on Control Panel.
- Select Program and Features then Uninstall a Program.
- Select QuickBooks, and click on Uninstall/Change.
- Follow on-screen instructions to uninstall QuickBooks.
- Download the setup for QuickBooks Desktop
- Launch the setup.
- Accept the Terms and Conditions.
- Select the Location to which the program should be installed.
- Select Express Install.
- Follow on-screen instructions. When the program is installed successfully, click on Finish.
At this point, the issue should resolve. If it still persists, then something is wrong with Microsoft Office. You can also try to reinstall Outlook and test sending the email again.
To know more, you can get in touch with our experts at LIVE CHAT.
Q. Can’t I set the email preferences for Chrome, as I don’t use Internet Explorer?
A. As mentioned before, Internet Explorer is the default web browser for most windows based applications. Therefore, you must correctly set up the email preferences for this program.
Read More: How to Fix QuickBooks Not Enough Memory May Not Complete This Operation?
Q. How do I recover my accounting data after uninstalling QuickBooks Desktop?
A. Uninstalling QuickBooks Desktop has no impact on the company file data. You can find the company file on the location where you saved it. The only things that you’ve to reset are your preferences.
Q. I wasn’t able to send the email through Microsoft Word. How do I fix this error now?
A. The problem then is with Microsoft office and not QuickBooks. You can connect with either Microsoft Professionals or our team of QuickBooks Experts to get your issue resolved.