QuickBooks search not working is a rare error that may occur because of damage to program files. When QB isn’t updated or installed properly, some functions in the accounting software aren’t able to work.
In this article, you’ll learn how to fix QuickBooks search function not working error.
Before starting with the methods provided below, you should create a backup file to ensure that none of the data is deleted.
To create a backup file in QuickBooks, follow the steps provided below:
- Go to the File menu and click on Switch to Single-user mode.
- Go back to the File menu and select the Backup file. Click on Create Local Backup.
- Click on Local Backup, then Next.
- Click on Browse and select the location for storing the backup file.
- Enter the number of backups you want to keep.
- Click on Ok, then Save and Next.
You can even do automatic backups in QuickBooks. QuickBooks will create a backup file and store it in a specific location after a specified period.
To fix QuickBooks search not working error, follow the steps provided below:
- Close QuickBooks and go to the start menu.
- Right click on QuickBooks Desktop icon.
- Select Run as Administrator.
- Go to the No Company Screen.
- Select Help, then Update QuickBooks Desktop.
- From the Options tab, select Mark all and click on Save.
- From the Update Now tab, click on the Reset Update box.
- Click on Get Updates.
Now check if the QuickBooks search not working error is fixed. If not, then you may need to repair the program files.
If the error doesn’t disappear even after updating QuickBooks, then you may have to run the repair tool, which scans through the existing files and fixes any that are damaged.
Basically, the repair tool creates a new file that doesn’t contain the errors that are in the previous version.
To run the repair tool, you can follow the steps provided below:
- Go to the Start menu. Select the Control Panel.
- Click on Program and Features.
- Select Uninstall a Program. Otherwise, click on the program and select the option.
- Click on QuickBooks and select Uninstall/Change.
- Click on Continue, then Next.
- Click on Repair, then Next.
- Click on Finish.
When the repair wizard opens, it’ll provide you all the instructions to complete the process.
In some cases, you may get an error while repairing program files. The error may occur because the file is already in use. So you need to shut down QuickBooks completely before you start the repair process. If the error still occurs, then simply restart your system.
In rare cases, you may have to reinstall QuickBooks. But before doing so, you should create a backup of your data. Further, reinstalling QuickBooks will delete all your user preferences and settings, but your accounting data won’t be impacted in any manner.
To reinstall QuickBooks, follow the steps provided below:
- Go to the start menu.
- Click on Program and Features.
- Select QuickBooks and click on Uninstall.
- Once the program is completely uninstalled, you need to restart your system.
Note: If you don’t have the QuickBooks product and license keys, then don’t uninstall QuickBooks. If you made the purchase from Intuit, then you can find both via your Intuit account. But if you purchased it from a third-party seller, then you’ll have to get in touch with that person/organization to get
QuickBooks search not working error is usually related to errors with the program files. You can update, repair, or reinstall QuickBooks by following the steps provided above to fix this error.
To know more or for help with QuickBooks search not working, get in touch with our experts at LIVE CHAT.
Frequently asked questions
Why do I get QuickBooks search not found error?
While the error is rare, it generally occurs because of damage to program files related to QuickBooks. We’ve detailed the steps with which you can fix these errors.
What is the use of the search bar in QuickBooks?
QuickBooks search bar can be used to access data or tools faster. You can also filter the search results. Newer versions of QuickBooks even have the autocomplete feature, which uses past search patterns to recommend the search term.
Can I filter results in the search feature?
Yes, you can. Filtering results enables you to narrow down on the data that you wish to work with. It also improves your efficiency and enables you to get things done faster.
Few More Good Reads:
- How to Update QuickBooks Desktop to Latest 2021
- What to Do When QuickBooks Freezes After Installation?
- How to Fix When QuickBooks Couldn’t Connect To Email Server?
- How to Resolve this Issue when QuickBooks Won’t Export To Excel?
- How to Configure Webmail in QuickBooks?
- How to Solve QuickBooks Error 15270?
- QuickBooks Keeps Crashing & Freezing: How to Fix?