Are you facing a Sage 50 error message that says “Cannot open the company file. The company file may not be available in the directory, please check the path.”? Well, this is a known issue related to Sage Accounting software and can occur if you are not using the correct version of Sage 50 Accounting software to open the data file (Sage 50 Accounts Not Opening After Update) but not the company.
There are Several Possible Causes of “Possible Factor of Sage 50 Unable to Open Company File Error”
If you have a problem with Sage, it may be due to incorrect modifications of your Windows Registry. For instance, low memory can cause crashes and errors.
- Data can sometimes become corrupted.
- Windows Operating System (OS) not up-to-date.
- Network is publicly set.
- McAfee might be blocking your website from the server.
- Your account might be locked down.
- Accessibility of network may be down.
- Your network is now open with everyone.
- The Antivirus software may block you to access your data.
- A missing icon file (.SAI) or data folder (.SAJ).
- Company File being moved to a shared folder on another computer.
- Company File already opened by another Sage 50 program.
- A virus or malware infection.
You’ll Need to Follow These Instructions Before you can Troubleshoot.
- We discontinued all VPN services on our network.
- Click the Antivirus icon to confirm that it isn’t on.
- If the sample company won’t open, remove it and reinstall it. Click the Windows task bar icon, type Malware bytes in the search field and click on Start Scan to run a scan of your system.
Also Read: Troubleshoot Sage 50 Activation Failed Issue
Resolution to Fix “Unable To Open Company File” Problem
You can fix the “Unable To Open Company File” error message in Sage 50 Accounting software by verifying and correcting the file version. For this,
Solution 1: Access your Sage program as an Administrator.
- Firstly, close your Sage 50 software once.
- Next, right-click the Sage 50 icon.
- Create a new Administrator account.
- To open the company file, then try to do so.
- Add permissions and move the data to a new location on the hard drive.
- Go to the Computer folder and find the .SAI and .SAj folders. Create a new folder called “For Everyone” on your computer.
- Compare that there are no hidden folders or files in the .SAJ folder.
- Once again, when trying to open your company data file, try a different file.
Read This: How to Restore Sage 50 Company File Backups
Solution 2: Wrong Icon:
- Confirm that you’re using the appropriate application.
- If you are using a program from the taskbar, you should perform a right-click and select the option “Unpin from Taskbar”
- Once done then pin a new version (perform a right-click on the Desktop shortcut and then pin to the taskbar).
Solution 3: Running mysqld.exe in the Task Manager causes problems.
On a Network
- Users must be signed out of Sage.
- Go to the task manager on the server and then make sure “Show processes from all users” is selected in the drop-down menu.
- Once done then under the Processes tab, you need to end all the MySqlD.exe process.
- After the entire process you should open again on the workstations.
On a Standalone
- Ensure that Sage 50 software is closed.
- Next, go to the Task Manager and open it.
- Confirm that the show process is selected, then end all running MySQL processes.
Solution 4: Check the Hidden or Missing Folders/Files:
- Go to your company file, located in the location panel.
- Look for the .SAJ folder and then make sure that all important files and folders are there.
Solution 5: Disable Antivirus and Real Time Scanners:
- Disable your anti-virus program
- If you have more than one Security/Antivirus software, then uninstall the unnecessary ones until you only have one left
- In case, your system is installed with Microsoft Security Essentials, then you should do the following:
- Disable protection with the Auto function.
- McAfree needs to have both real-time scanning and a firewall.
- Uninstall or disable real time protection.
- The Real-time Scanning and Firewall is turned on. When you’re finished here, please turn it off.
- McAfree will block the 2017 to 2018 conversion if either of the two conversions are disabled.
- If you use an auto backup software to keep your company data, then disable it once your job is done.
- Check the Event Viewer logs for Windows.
- Right-click on the Sage 50 icon to select “Run as an Administrator”.
- Attempt the conversion process again.
- Once you have completed the conversion, then re-enable your security software.
If the Above-Mentioned Step Does Not Help you Get Your Software in the Operational State, You Need to Follow the Procedure we are Mentioning Below.
Make sure that the Pervasive is online at any of the two modes: Standalone mode or Workstation Mode. Now, verify its online connectivity on the server.
If you have an issue in the system that is causing your trouble, follow the steps we are mentioning below
- You need to open the Run Command. To do so, press and hold the Windows key and then press R key.
- The run box will open. Here, you are required to type: services.msc.
- Here, you need to scroll your cursor down to ‘PSQL Workgroup Engine’
- Now, right-click on it and verify that it is stopped or running. (It should be in running mode)
- You need to repeat all the steps for the server as they are for the above-mentioned system.
Sage 50 Unable to Open Company File is a difficult problem to solve. If it is still running, you will surely get the error this time also. Do you still need help? Get in touch with our Sage repair specialists for instant help and support. Call now at our sage contact.
Frequently Asked Questions
Sage 50 Cannot Open Company File There Is An Error Connecting To A Database
Summary: Error: “Cannot open company, there is an error connecting to a database” when trying to open a data file.
Solution: Restore the Software to factory default if the computer is new.
Sage 50 Cannot Open Company File The File Is Currently Used By Another Application
Summary: “Can’t open company file [Sage 50 file name]. The file is currently being used by another application” when opening a data file.
Solution: Upgrade your Sage 50 product for correct Serial Number or Turn off the Firewall on the Server.
Sage 50 Cannot Open Company File This Data Has Been Updated
Summary: This company file has been updated to a newer file format and is now incompatible with this version of Sage 50 Accounting.
Solution: Move your data to cloud folder synced with Microsoft One Drive, Google Drive, Dropbox, Box, etc.
What are the various ways to rectify Sage 50 Unable To Open Company File?
There is more than one solution available to fix this error like:
1. Check the errorlog.txt file.
2. Verify the file attributes (no read-only or hidden).
3. User Account Control is blocking.
4. Check the Advanced Database Check log.
5. Disable Antivirus and Real Time Scanners.
6. Verify if the SAJ folder contains duplicate files, etc.