What Do Error Codes 6189, 816 in QuickBooks Mean?
If you see the message “An error occurred when QuickBooks tried to access the company file (-6189, -816),” so don’t be worried. Your multi-user network is having a problem; your data file is not the problem. This error message might appear when you attempt to launch QuickBooks Desktop or when you attempt to open a company file (.QBW) on a multi-user network. Although the error message contains some information, users may still find it challenging to identify the error’s precise cause and fix it.
- Error Support
- Data Import
- Data Conversion
- Payment Solutions
- Payroll Support
- Data Export
- Software Integration
- QuickBooks Printer Support
- Complete QuickBooks Solutions
- Tax-Related Issues
- Data Damage Recovery
- Installation, Activation Help
- QuickBooks Windows Support
Reasons for Error 6189, 816 in QuickBooks Desktop:
Some of the causes of this error include the following:
- If you attempt to access a QuickBooks file that is already being used by a service or another user.
- Incomplete QuickBooks installation process or corrupt QuickBooks download link
- When you attempt to open a file that is contained in a folder that you do not have read or write access to.
- This error may be brought on by incorrect entries in the Windows registry resulting from incorrect or incomplete QuickBooks installation.
- A malware or virus attack that damages QuickBooks program files throughout the system by attacking the Windows framework.
- Another potential reason is a recent programming change in QuickBooks that corrupted the Windows registry.
- The exchange log record (.TLG) and the organization document are different (.QBW).
- Other customers signed into the company record using single-user mode.
- The error can be brought on by using an outdated or pirated version of Windows.
- Deleting crucial drivers by mistake is necessary for QuickBooks to function properly.
What are the Solutions to Fix QuickBooks Error Code 6189, 816?
Here are the solutions explained below that you can perform on your own. Identify the root cause and then select the solution accordingly. The solutions are explained below:-
Solution 1: Start Quick Fix my Program from the QuickBooks Tool Hub.
Step 1 Install the QuickBooks Tool Hub by downloading it.
Common errors are corrected using the QuickBooks Tool Hub. To use the tool hub, QuickBooks must be closed. Utilize Tool Hub on Windows 10 64-bit for the best user experience.
- Firstly, you have to close QuickBooks.
- Download the QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Save the document in a location that is simple to find (like your Downloads folder or your Windows desktop).
Note: You can determine which version you have if you’ve previously installed Tool Hub.Choosing the Home tab. Version information will be at the bottom.
- Open the downloaded file (QuickBooksToolHub.exe).
- To install and accept the terms and conditions, adhere to the on-screen instructions.
- Double-click the icon on your Windows desktop to launch the tool hub after the installation is complete.
Note: If you can’t find the icon, search for QuickBooks Tool Hub in Windows and choose the program.
Step 2: Launch Quick Fix my Program from the Tool Hub.
- Select Program Problems from the QuickBooks Tool Hub menu.
- Choose “Quick Fix my Program.”
- Open your data file in QuickBooks Desktop after starting it.
Solution 2: Restart All the Computers and Servers
- Your system may occasionally require a complete reset. Order these actions to make sense.
- Restart the server machine (the one hosting your company files).
- Restart each workstation (the other networked devices not holding your company’s files).
- On the server computer, launch QuickBooks Desktop.
- On each workstation, launch QuickBooks Desktop.
Solution 3: Launch the QuickBooks Database Server Manager on Your Server From the Tool Hub
Your QuickBooks company file is kept on your server computer(s). Your workstations are the additional computers that are connected to your network. QuickBooks Database Server Manager will assist in maintaining the stability of your multi-user network if you are hosting it yourself.
- Select Network Issues in the tool hub.
- The QuickBooks Database Server Manager option is chosen. If QuickBooks isn’t already installed on your server, you’ll receive a prompt to do so.
- If you see your company file in the QuickBooks Database Server Manager, click Start Scan (s). If not, choose Start Scan after browsing to the location of your company file.
- The firewall permissions will be automatically repaired by the QuickBooks Database Server Manager. Select Close when the scan is complete.
- Open QuickBooks Desktop on both your workstations and your server computer.
Solution 4: Transfer Your Company’s Documents to a Local Hard Drive
Move your company files (.QBW) to your local hard drive if you continue to receive the Error -6189, 816 and they are currently kept on a removable drive or online.
Solution 5: Renaming the Network Data File (ND) and Transaction Log File (TLG)
In a multi-user environment, QuickBooks can access a QBW file using the configuration files ND and TLG. If these files are corrupt or damaged, you might experience “QuickBooks error 6189, 816.”
However, once you rescan them using QuickBooks Database Server Manager and open the company file, the files are automatically created. If that occurs, rename the ND and TLG files and see if that fixes the problem.
The ND and TLG files can be renamed using the following steps:
- Open the folder containing your company file.
- Find the files with the same name as your company files but different file extensions. The following describes ND and.TLG:
- Click Rename from the context menu when you right-click each file.
- Reopen QuickBooks and attempt to sign in to your company file. Try the following fix if the error persists.
Solution 6: Verify the location of your QuickBooks Company Data File (QBW)
Make sure that your data file (QBW) is not kept on a hard drive or a portable pen drive. Additionally, the issue might worsen if you use QuickBooks online backup files. Move the “.QBW” file to your local hard drive to prevent this. You could, for instance, save the file on the desktop of the computer where QuickBooks is set up.
What Should I Do If the Solutions Above Don’t Work?
Avoid wasting more time trying additional hit-and-miss fixes if QuickBooks error code 6189 816 persists after trying these fixes, this might further harm the company file. Instead, repair your QuickBooks.QBW file with Stellar Repair for QuickBooks Software to restore normal operation to the program.
This software is your strongest defense against bothersome errors and difficult problems because it is supported by strong scanning, repair, and recovery algorithms. Additionally, thanks to its fully interactive GUI and it is incredibly simple to use.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I fix QuickBooks Error 6189, 816 using Tool Hub?
1. Shut down QuickBooks.
2. Get our QuickBooks Tool Hub now.
3. Open the downloaded file (QuickBooksToolHub.exe).
4. To install, follow the instructions on-screen.
5. Open the tool hub on your Windows desktop after the installation is complete.
6. Choose Program Issues.
7. To quickly fix my program, click.
How do I use Auto-Recovery in QuickBooks When I am Facing QuickBooks error 6189?
1. Open the folder containing the company file.
2. If necessary, make the file extensions visible.
3. Open the folder labeled “Quickbooks Auto Data Recovery.“
4. Two files with the extensions (.qbw.adr) and (.qbw.adr.old) would be present.
5. In a new folder, copy the ADR file.
What does .TLG stands for that you have to Rename While Fixing QuickBooks Error 6189?
Transaction Log, or TLG, files are there to aid in data recovery in the situation that your primary file is somehow damaged. As a sort of backup, every transaction created in your company file is duplicated in the TLG file. This could theoretically be used by Intuit Data Services to restore corrupted data.
How do I get QuickBooks to open a TLG file to fix QuickBooks Error 6189?
If your TLG file won’t open properly, try right-clicking or holding the file down for a long time. Then select an application by clicking “Open with.”