Query: User facing problem while updating QuickBooks Payroll and gets error 15106. How to fix it?
You get this error while updating QuickBooks Desktop to the latest release due to one of the reasons: You have an antivirus software installed in your computer that’s blocking the QuickBooks update. You are not logged in as the administrator in the Desktop.
Often, users get the message: Unable to open or damaged update program. Such messages are frequently seen by QuickBooks users. Two primary reasons are listed below.
Error 15106 is one of those errors that the user usually faces while downloading QuickBooks Desktop updates followed by an error message: “The update program cannot be opened. The update program is damaged.”
- The error happens due to two possible reasons. They are as follows:
- Detection of Spy sweeper in the webroot antivirus program
Probably you may not be logged in as the computer administrator that restricts your ability to read or write new files
To fix the error you need to download the latest QuickBooks Premier Desktop 2021 Update.
How to Resolve the Error 15106?
To resolve the QuickBooks payroll error 15106 you can follow the methods mentioned below:
- In case you are not logged in as Administrator, you need to switch user and login as Administrator. Doing this might resolve the issue. If the error is not resolved move to the second method to troubleshoot the issue.
- If you identify that the error occurs due to the Spy Sweeper then you can open Windows Task Manager by using (Ctrl+Shift+Esc) keys together. You need to click on the ‘Processes’ tab and look for ‘Spy Sweeper.exe. Further you can attempt doing the following things:
- In case you detect this in the processing tab, you should remove or uninstall it by opening ‘Add/Remove programs’ in the Windows. Doing this might resolve the issue.
- For you are not able locate the Spy Sweeper in your computer system, you should open drive C and navigate to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooksxx\Components. Then you need to reset the QuickBooks update after renaming downloadqb < nn> folder as downloadqb< nn >.old. For sure doing this will fix the issue.
- In case both the methods mentioned above fail to fix the QuickBooks Unable to Update and encounter error 15106, turn off the User Account Control temporarily in case you are a Vista user or you are using Windows 7 or Windows 8.
- Still if it fails to fix the issue go to Selective Startup and perform clean install of QuickBooks.
Why I’m getting QuickBooks error code 15106 on my desktop?
This may happen if: the update program is not fully configured on QuickBooks. If you have an active QuickBooks Desktop Payroll subscription and you’re trying to download QuickBooks Desktop updates, you may get error code 15106 with the following message:
- The update program cannot be opened.
- The update program is damaged.
What does QuickBooks error 15106 mean in enterprise edition 2019, how do I resolve?
If you get an Error message 15106 try the following.
- Run Reboot.bat.
- Start again your desktop. Re-open QuickBooks Desktop.
- If you are wanting to install an update, select Install Now.
- If you are still incompetent to install the update, delete and download the update once more.
- Open QuickBooks Desktop >> Help menu >> Update QuickBooks Desktop.
- Go to the Update Now tab >> Reset the updates check-box.
- Select >> Get Updates to re-download the updates.
- When the download is complete, close and reopen QuickBooks Desktop.
- On the QuickBooks Desktop Update Service window >> select Install Now.
When error 15106 occur in QuickBooks?
This issue occurs when the installer is corrupt or no longer available.
Can I fix QuickBooks error 15106 myself?
Yes! Follow the steps bellow:
- Stop all programs that are currently running.
- Click the Microsoft Windows Start button >> Settings >> Control Panel.
- Double-click Add/Remove Programs.
- Select the version of QuickBooks you are updating, and then >> Change/Remove button.
- Click Next in the first QuickBooks Installation window.
- Verify that Repair is selected >> Next >> Repair.
Note: After the repair has finished, Open QuickBooks and click Install Now, in the QuickBooks has recently downloaded an update window, to install the update. The update should finish error-less.
Is there any way to troubleshoot error 15106 when updating QuickBooks Desktop?
Yes Buddy! This may happen due to the QuickBooks Desktop update and registry entries are corrupted. Do perform some troubleshooting steps to resolve this issue as given below.
Still you are unable to resolve the QuickBooks error 15106 or queries related to the troubleshooting methods you can connect with the QuickBooks customer support team through email, chat or toll free phone number. Else you can contact our reliable QuickBooks support agency like fastfix247.com.
Question: Each time I try updating my QuickBooks desktop, I get the QuickBooks payroll error 15106. I haven’t updated since July. I completed all of the steps today except for reinstalling (which I would need to backup and then reopen again after an uninstall/reinstall because I have multiple company files).
The following two reasons may cause this error when updating the program:
- The update is being blocked by an antivirus program.
- You do not have administrator access to the computer.
Disable the antivirus software first. Once you have right-clicked on the QuickBooks Desktop icon, select Run as Administrator. This will grant you administrator rights.