Query: Hi Jessica – I am trying to help a client. He updated his QuickBooks Pro from 2017 to 2019. However, he can’t remember where he data file is located. Does QuickBooks use a default path to store the data? If not, I can have him do a search of his network and find it.
Where does QuickBooks Software Application Saves Company Related Files or Data?
Have you been tired scratching your head as you are not able to figure out where your company files are stored in your QuickBooks software application? If yes, then no need to feel queasy about this issue any longer as your search ends here as we here to help you find out all answers to your questions.
In this article, we shall be exploring in detail where exactly the QuickBooks software application saves the company related files or data (.QBW files) and you can find them easily without much hassle
What are company related files (.QBW files)?
It goes without saying that QuickBooks Desktop application meticulously superintends the whole kit and caboodle, right from your business’s account receivables to electronic bank transfers. This accounting software application keeps your business’s finances and associated records in a specific file which ends with the extension .QBW.
The file extension .qbw is neither further split into different files, nor there are any figures included in its extension. The subscribed users of the software application are authorized to gain access, make a duplicate copy of the files and transfer your QB .QBW file so as to generate the backup of the company files or if you wish to import your business file into some other QuickBooks version at your fingertips.
Read This: Unable to Get Connected with Company File
Important Note: If you wish to understand .QBW files in more details, then you can consult our experts on our FASTFIX247 QuickBooks helpdesk number
How to find out your company related files stored in your QuickBooks Desktop accounting software application?
Here are some quick to do steps that will help you locate your company files that are stored in your QB Desktop application:
Try to find out files by means of C:\ Drive:
- First and the foremost, you need to click on the “Start,” button that you can find on the left corner of your computer screen
- After this, browse for “Control Panel” option
- Then look for the “Appearance and Personalization” option there
- When the window opens, you need to look for “Folder Options” and click on the same
- There you will find the “View” button. You have to press on the same.
- Now, select the “Display hidden files/folders/drives” which you can find below the Advanced settings caption.
- Next, select the “OK” button so as to view hidden files on your system.
- Select Start button, then go to My Computer and click twice on the “C:\” image. Again click two times on the “Users” option. Click twice once again on the Public and then Documents folders
- You need to click twice on the “QuickBooks” folder.
- Again click two times on the “Business Files” option. Try to find the file bearing the “.qbw” extension – there will only single file which subsists with such extension.
- You have to do right click on the file with extension .qbw and choose the option you wish from the given list if required. Or simply jot down the directory path somewhere for future reference.
- Recap the Step 1, but select the “Do not display hidden files/folders/drives” option which you can easily find below the Advanced settings caption.
- Select “OK” to save all the modifications you have performed.
Read This: Unable to Open QuickBooks Company File
Tracing company files by means of QuickBooks software application
- Click on QuickBooks software.
- Click twice on your company’s file name on the QuickBooks screen. Press “Ctrl” key and numeric 1 simultaneously. The Product Info dialog box will appear.
- Search for the “File Info” division for the directory path having your QB “.qbw” file. Note down the directory path for future use.
- Exit from QB software.
Tracing company files by means of Windows Search
- Select the Start button, then go to Control Panel and browse for Appearance and Personalization. Then select Folder Options and after that press on View button. Choose the “Show hidden files, folders, and drives” option below the Advanced settings header. Next, press on “OK” to view hidden files on your system.
- Select the Start button and browse for Search programs and files and type “*.qbw” in the field. The search outcomes will come up instantly.
- Do right-click on the “*.qbw” file and choose the preference you wish from the menu. Jot down the directory path for future use.
- Recap the Step 1, but select the ‘Do not display hidden files/folders/drives’ option which you can easily find below the Advanced settings caption
- Click “OK”.
Read This: How To Restrict User Access In QuickBooks?
For more advanced solutions or to know more about QuickBooks software application features in detail, dial our phone number and speak to our FASTFIX247 QuickBooks technical support team. Our team of qualified QuickBooks experts are reachable 24*7.