Some users have complained that they face the WDDM Service Not Running in QuickBooks quite frequently. Are you one of them? We know, it can be really annoying if you are going through some important works and you have suddenly faced the WDDM service not working error. Because of this issue, you may suddenly find your QuickBooks to be frozen, or slow. Your Windows operating system may also get malfunctioned and may stop at any unpredictable moment. You may face other issues related to the operating system as well.
Know what are WDDM Service?
The WD Drive Manager Service process is part of the WDDriveManager.exe, WD Drive Manager, or WD SmartWare Drive Manager software. WDDMService.exe is not required by Windows and frequently causes issues. The WDDMService.exe file is placed in the “C:Program Files” directory (mostly C:\Program Files\Western Digital\WD SmartWare\WD Drive Manager\).
Read More: What to do when Intuit data protect has stopped working or backup failed?
You don’t need to panic though! If you have a fair idea about the issue and are aware of ways to counter it, you can take this problem into your stride. We are here to assist you. If you are troubled frequently with this issue, go through this blog. Here, we will provide a number of easy solutions, with a step-by-step approach. Just go through the steps, implement them and fix the WDDM Service Not Running issue for good!
Why Does the WDDM Service Not Running in QuickBooks problem occur?
Some of the possible reasons of occurrence of this issue are as follows-
- You may see this error message appearing on your screen when some DLL files get corrupted or missed after you have updated the Windows operating system.
- You may encounter this error when you use unconventional methods to uninstall or reinstall the QuickBooks application
- The error may occur if the drivers are not installed/updated properly or are damaged.
- If any virus or malware (such as Trojan Horse) creeps into your system, you may experience this error.
Read More: Why QBDBMGRN not Running on this Computer?
How to Troubleshoot the WDDM Service Not Running in QuickBooks error?
Please follow the below-mentioned steps to fix the WDDM Service Not Running error-
- Run as Administrator- Make sure to log in as an admin. Also, you should always run QuickBooks in the Admin mode
- Use Safe Mode to Start- Starting the program in safe mode will help you resolve the error. To do this, press F8 on your keyboard while the system is booting.
- Check if the Driver are Updated – For this, please carry out the following steps-
- Open My Computer or File Explorer
- Right click on This PC or My Computer
- Click the Manage option
- The Computer Management window will appear on your screen
- Click on System Tools
- Then click Device Manager
- Next, right click on Properties
- Go to the Driver tab and check for the driver updates.
- Have a Check on the Windows Version you are using- This is to ensure if you are using the latest version of the Windows operating system or not.
Read More: How to fix QBCFMonitorService not running on this computer?
We hope the troubleshooting steps mentioned above have helped you a great deal to fix the WDDM Service Not Running error in QuickBooks. If you are still not able to get rid of this issue, or , if you experience any difficulties in carrying out these steps, we would recommend you to speak to our experts.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Where to Find the QuickBooks product & License Number?
- If you have purchased it from a retail store, you will find this information in the label of the original package.
- If you have purchased QuickBooks from the Intuit website, this information will be available in the email that was sent to you at the time of purchase.
- If you are reinstalling QuickBooks, you will find this information in your Customer Account Management Portal.
- If you have lost your product number or license number, please contact the QuickBooks support team.
What is a QuickBooks Company File?
A QuickBooks company file can be identified with the extension .QBW. It is a destination where all the financial data related to a company is stored. It is stored as a single file and is not branched into multiple files. The user can open, copy or move the company file to any other location, as and when required. The QuickBooks company file can be imported among different QuickBooks versions as well.
What is the QuickBooks Auto Data Recovery Tool?
As you are aware of, the loss of crucial company data may hinder the business operations of any company. The QuickBooks Auto Data Recovery Tool (QB ADR) is an important tool to help you in this regard. It helps keep a proper backup of all the critical company data. This tool uses the present Transaction Log File and a Company File copy to restore the transactions lost. It can recover the lost or corrupted company data quickly enough.
It can help the user to retrieve the lost data in 2 ways-
- It recreates the transaction that happened in the last few hours from the copy of the company file and the current transaction log file.
- It recreates the lost transaction from the copy of the company file and the current transaction log file.
What are the benefits of updating the QuickBooks Desktop version?
Some of the benefits of updating the QuickBooks Desktop application are as follows-
- Ensures better performance of the QuickBooks app on your system.
- Ensures improved security of your crucial data.
- Certain bugs and issues ( such as the ‘Intuit Data Protect Stopped Working’ etc) in the system have been fixed
- You can avail other enhanced features introduced by Intuit from time to time.
Windows 10 at start-up has a message “WDDM service not running” in QuickBooks Desktop, how to fix it?
I’d suggest you to uninstall the WD Smartware and check if the problem occurs.
1. Launch the “WD Smartware” from the virtual CD 2. Go to the “Extras” 3. Start the “WD SmartWare Uninstaller”
Restart the computer before reinstall the WD SmartWare. That should make the WDDM Service to work again.